Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Official Pinter*Mel Project FAIL #2 OR How my intended bowl is now an awesome coaster.

I had a plan to make little bowls for Christmas present presentation this year. I thought a cute little bowl with an owl stamped into the bottom would have been a nice way to hold the homemade beauty goodies I plan on giving out as presents. This was the plan...it's a good thing I'm flexible, and willing to improvise. 

The Inspiration: DIY Lace Bowl

So my first mistake was buying Sculpey Original, not that there's anything wrong with the product, it just was the wrong version of this product for this particular project.

You see, most of the DIY air-dry clay recipes call for 3 cups of white glue. I don't know if any of you have purchased white glue lately, but buying enough to get 3 cups worth isn't exactly cheap. Also, making this stuff is kinda labour-intensive. I wanted to see if I could make this pretty quickly to gauge if it was going to sink or swim for Christmas presents. 

Yay! Sculpey! (and an owl stamp) 

I cut about a quarter of the whole slab off. 


And then proceeded to knead the ever-loving sh*t out of it. 


Then I grabbed my trusty rolling pin and rolled it out...but not too thin; bowl thin. 


Once I got it evened out, I grabbed one of my smaller bowls as a template. 


Then using a butter knife and the spatchula thingy from this post, I cut it out. 

I evened out the edges a bit, and then pressed my adorable owl stamp into the middle of the future bowl.



Then I gently pressed the circle-owl into the upright bowl I used as the template. 


Remember how back at the beginning of the post I indicated that this was the wrong Sculpey product for this project, this became apparent to me at this stage. In order for this product to dry it has to go in the oven, it can't just air dry in the bowl. I needed an air-dry version of this Sculpey product.  SO I FRANTICALLY looked around my house for a like-sized bowl I could repress my circle-owl into and then put in the oven. 

Alas, it was not to be. 

So I did my best to form the edges while my over preheated to 275F. 


While my bowl-fail/coaster-win was baking, I decided to use the left-over scraps to make some ornaments for Christmas. 





In the oven you go! 


Once my bowl-fail/coaster-win had cooled down enough, I threw on some paint. 


And then I threw a layer of Mod Podge Outdoor over top to seal it. 



[Pro Tip: Skip this step. It made my coaster sticky, and now my mug sticks to it. Very annoying.]


Yay! Coaster-win!!!


Moral of the story - buy a clay product that will air dry, OR don't be a lazy ass like me and make your own air-dry stuff. 



Cheers, 

-Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment